Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere. They can occur in a grocery store, restaurant, theater, hotel, common area of an apartment complex or in someone’s home. In California, the owners of property whether it is a business establishment or a private home, have a duty and obligation to keep the premises safe from dangers and hazards that can cause injuries to guests, patrons, and customers who are on the property.
Accidents and injuries including slip and falls or trip and falls that occur on property are generally referred to by attorneys as ” premises liability” cases. These cases can arise from a variety of situations such as failing to clean a spill or foreign substance from a floor; or failing to repair a condition on the premises such as a broken floor tile or a tear in a carpet that creates a dangerous or hazardous condition. Property owners also have an obligation to warn you of a dangerous condition you may encounter if they are doing maintenance or repairs on their property.
If you have been injured because the owner of a private home or business establishment has failed to maintain a reasonably safe condition, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages including pain and suffering, medical bills, and lost wages.
Things to remember if your are injured in a premises liability case :
- Make sure you report the accident immediately to the owner, manager or employee of the establishment;
- Take photos of the accident scene or condition that caused your injury;
- Obtain the names of the owner, manager or witnesses;
- Keep the shoes or clothing you were wearing as it may be important for evidence at a later time;
- Obtain medical attention immediately and report all of your symptoms even if you think they are minor;
- Do not give a recorded or written statement to the insurance company for the responsible party as it can be used against you at a later time;
- Retain an experienced and qualified attorney.
Premises liability cases can be complex and tricky even if you think that the owner is obviously responsible. A qualified attorney is familiar with the defenses that the insurance companies and their attorneys will assert and knows the questions to ask and evidence to gather to overcome their defenses. The Law Offices of Thomas R. Nigro has over 30 years of experience handling these cases and can effectively represent you if you have been injured as a result of a slip or trip and fall accident or injured in a premises liability matter.